Genealogists are like detectives. Working out puzzles is the name of their game! If you have ever wanted to research and document your family history the right way, then Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes is for you! Authored by professional genealogist Shannon Combs-Bennett, this genealogy book explains the joys, challenges, and triumphs of researching your family’s origins. While many people assume genealogy research starts online, Combs-Bennett shows the importance of starting a family tree using documents that can be found in your own home!
Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes is written in a friendly, easy-to-understand style that avoids complex jargon. While not a comprehensive guide, there are lots of examples, case studies, and advice that can help would-be family historians quickly get up to speed. In addition to listing best practices for conducting genealogical research, Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes also warns readers about the many pitfalls of family research, from “brick wall” mysteries to time-wasting online searches. Topics include:
• Why are people so interested in family history?
• Evaluating clues, facts, and myths in family stories
• The importance of linking generations
• Vital records, from birth certificates to death records
• Non-vital records, from census forms to wills
• Religious records
• Five things that can trip up newbies researching family history
• Best practices for genealogy road trips
• Interviewing relatives, and dealing with skeptics
• Pros and cons of online genealogy research
• Genealogy communities and continuing education
• Genetic genealogy basics
• Understanding the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
• Genetic genealogy and adoptees
• Non-paternal events and other skeletons in the genetic closet
• Visualizing family history with charts
• Research logs and genealogy journals
• How to create good source citations
• Preserving records and research
• Genealogy software and GEDCOM files
• Planning for disasters
As its name suggests, Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes concentrates on basic skills. Nevertheless, in a single reading you will be able to understand some important research techniques that will serve you well as you embark on a journey to figure out the origins of your family. Creating a strong family tree will not only satisfy your own curiosity, but will also serve as a record to share with relatives and future generations!
Is this your Product Page? Improve it! Login now to update your information.